Pine Cone Press-Citizen | Longville, MN
weather sponsored by


Advanced Search
search sponsored by


Local News
Cass County News
Sports
Obituaries
Events
Letters to the Editor
Reader Submissions
Classifieds
Outdoors
Community Links
School News
City Council Minutes
Opinion
Legal Notices
Get Connected In Longville
Photo Gallery
Life
Extras
Contact Us



GuidepointNew

home : cass county news : cass county news
May 11, 2021

4/25/2021 2:08:00 PM
Cass County Board: Pandemic brought Challenges, Successes in 2020 Highway Work
By Kyndra Johnson of the Press-Citizen


BACKUS- 2020 proved to be a challenging year in the Cass County Highway Department.

County Engineer Darrick Anderson presented the 2020 annual highway department report to the Cass County Board Tuesday, April 20.

Anderson said with the restrictions of COVID-19, the design staff shifted into the field earlier than normal and completed much-needed inventory of culverts, light poles and signage.

Anderson shared a summary of highway maintenance costs, specific maintenance projects, equipment sold and purchased and an update on construction projects in progress and when the projects will be completed. In 2020, the total regular maintenance cost for County State Aid Highways was $2,907,142. Of that total, $2,556,513, or 88%, came from state aid funds. The remaining $350,629, or 12%, came from county funds. Anderson stated that although all maintenance cost for County State Aid Highways should come from state funding, in the past the county still had to pay for a portion. Anderson also mentioned the state Legislature is presenting a five cent per gallon increase on gas taxes, considering there has not been an increase for quite some time. He also noted with more people purchasing electric cars there will be less revenue available from gas taxes.

In other highway business Tuesday the county board:

• Approved the final payment to Allstates Pavement Recycling and Stabilization for the edgeline rumble strip project on county state aid highways 7, 8, 9, 45 and 78 in the amount of $95,388.

• Approved the county highway driveway/entrance access policy and application. Cass County residents are required to fill out an application and pay a refundable $500 deposit when requesting to construct a new entrance to a parcel.

• Approved the county highway access management policy which states that each parcel of land 40 acres or less in size shall have one highway access.





Article Comment Submission Form
Please feel free to submit your comments.

Article comments are not posted immediately to the Web site. Each submission must be approved by the Web site editor, who may edit content for appropriateness. There may be a delay of 24-48 hours for any submission while the web site editor reviews and approves it.

Note: All information on this form is required. Your telephone number is for our use only, and will not be attached to your comment.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Site Sponsors
 •  Call Lakeland Promotions 218-363-1000 for all your ad specialty needs










Hackensack Lumber
Woodland Insurance
Stepping Stones
Lott Excavating
Life

Pine Cone Press-Citizen • PO Box 401 • Longville, MN 56655 • Phone: 218-363-2002

Software © 1998-2021 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved