3/5/2021 4:27:00 PM Longville City Council minutes
LONGVILLE CITY COUNCIL
MEETING MINUTES UNAPPROVED
Wed., Feb. 17, 2021
Mayor Jocko Kline called the Regular Scheduled Meeting of the month to order on Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
PRESENT: Mayor: Jocko Kline, Council Members: Phyllis Eck, Neil Tobiason, Nathan Tabaka and Greg Gilsrud. City Clerk: Christina Herheim. Deputy City Clerk: Dianne Larson. Employees: Sara Putnam, Nancy Raines and Dean Murray. Citizens: Steve Shallbetter and Officers Eric Alger & Shawn Birr from Cass Co Sheriff's Office.
1. M/S/P: Eck/Tabaka to approve agenda of Wednesday, February 17, 2021
2. M/S/P: Gilsrud/Eck to approve Regular City Council Meeting Minutes of January 20, 2021
3. New Business:
a. M/S/P: Eck/Tobiason to approve purchase of used riding mower from Remer at a cost of $5,000. In addition to current usage, this equipment will be used for sidewalk clean up in winter, and cemetery clean up in summer. $1500 will be used from 2021 item budgeted for cemetery, and existing riding mower will be sold through bidding process. Gilsrud abstained
4. Licenses and Permits: N/A
5. Old Business:
a. Oath of office: Neil Tobiason
6. Citizens addressing the council: N/A
7. Engineer's report. N/A
8. Commissioner's Reports:
i. Police: Officer Alger provided the monthly report to the council and reported that things have been pretty quiet; expect things will pick up once weather improves. Office Alger introduced new Cass County Officer Shawn Birr. Officer Birr comes to Cass County from Pine River where he has served for the past 15 years. The council had no issues to address.
1. KRLS will be migrating to a new integrated library system (software to manage & centralize library functions).
2. Legacy Programs: MN author William Kent Krueger will do a zoom presentation on 3/11/21 at 6:00 pm. Register on line at krls.org or phone 218-363-2710.
3. KRLS has ordered new patron PCs and monitors for all branches, expected to be installed first part of March
4. Approximately 2 weeks to complete Snow Time to Read Challenge of 10 books (by Feb 28th) to receive a coffee mug or insulated cup and enter the drawings for a book bag or hooded t-shirt.
5. 2 hot spots available which can be checked out for 4 weeks with your library card (18 and older)
6. Regional Library
a. Working on mission statement & reviewing wages.
b. Received a grant from MN Dept of Education for hot spots.
1. Docksider reported by Manager Putnam:
a. Governor Walz is allowing bars to be open until 11:00 p.m.
b. Will be ordering Docksider shirts for staff
c. There will be no Chili Cook-off this winter
d. New toilets and urinal will be installed in the men's room
e. Server training is complete
2. LLBS reported by Manager Raines:
a. Sales in January were up by 60%
b. All lighting has been replaced, and rebate applied for
c. Everything is going well
i. Airport - reported by Steve Shallbetter:
1. Sold approximately 550 gallons of fuel in the last month leaving approximately 4604 gallons on hand. Price is $3.15/gallon
2. No maintenance issues to report
3. Work on upgraded fuel system expected to be completed by the end of the month. A notice will be issued to advise pilots that AV Gas will not be available during construction
4. The grant request will need to be submitted by Monday, February 22nd including an updated quote with estimated price increase.
i. Sewer - no issues
1. M/S/P: Tabaka/Gilsrud to approve training and test in St. Cloud for Murray at an estimated total cost of approximately $600
ii. Land Use
1. There will be a public hearing for a Variance prior to next month's council meeting (March 17th)
i. Streets: Maintenance Manager Murray reported that he is waiting to hear back from Cass County on manhole issues on Co Rd 5
ii. Cemetery: Maintenance Manager Murray reported that local equipment rental vendors are not willing to rent grave digging equipment during the winter months due to high incidence of damage to the equipment. The question of subcontracting for full burials was discussed and tabled while Maintenance Manager Murray obtains bids to contract for digging of graves for full burials.
9. Clerk's Report
a. Clerk Herheim shared a thank you letter from the Initiative Foundation for our donation.
b. M/S/P: Eck/Tobiason to approve $100 donation for winter fireworks.
10. Employee relations - Closed meeting at 4:36 p.m. Re-opened at 4:39 p.m.
a. M/S/P: Gilsrud/Tabaka to approve wage increase
b. M/S/P: Tabaka/Eck to approve vacation request
11. Administration and Financial
a. M/S/P: Gilsrud/Tabaka to approve Payroll, Payroll liabilities and claims from check #70081-70153 in the amount of $122,229.59 Debit Card amount of $544.33 totaling $122,773.92.
M/S/P:Tabaka/Tobiason to adjourn meeting at 4:47 p.m..